Thursday 3 November 2011

Volunteering in Ghana - Day 11

Day 11

Was woken up by Yau who jumped in the bed for morning nap time in between me and Glenn. Glenn started playing the game that your dad does, or the uncle who's not really your uncle, plays with you. It's called the "I've got your nose" game. A game that has haunted generations of children for years. Glenn being British and Yau being African, it didn't really work. As the game usually goes the child would shout "put it back" or just burst into crying, thinking their nose has been stolen or ripped from their face. Poor Yau must have thought he was turning into Michael Jackson and his plastic nose had been removed. Despite Glenn's best efforts Yau didn't cry. More a look of confusion.

After the light introduction to the day, it turned dark when Glenn discovered that his iphone and ipod were missing. Glenn's ipod had gone missing two days before. It took Glenn two days to realise about the phone because nobody calls or texts him. It seemed like too much of a coincidence as we had already searched High and low. We began our investigation. Yau told us that he had seen cornelius and dolce with them on the friday when they went missing and he was told not to say anything. We separated the three older boys from the others and asked them what they knew. They wouldn't talk so we separated them. As soon as we did the little birds began to chirp. Dolce was the only one who didn't say anything. Was it to do with his loyalty to his boys or was it more than likely the fact that he doesn't understand any English.

I've seen a lot of interrogations in my time...well on TV anyway. The best tactical approach is as we all know the good cop/ bad cop method. One plays the bad guy, the other plays the friend. I got confused to which one I was so I ended up playing both characters. Being the only person in the room, I must have come across as having split personality syndrome and probably freaked out the orphan in question.

All this and it was only 11am and that meant time to leave for the waterfall. It was a bit of a trek but it was absolutely beautiful when we got there. It's the biggest waterfall in West Africa and it was a sight to behold. We went for a dip in the water and had to walk back first towards the falling water as the spray was so powerful. We slowly hobbled till we were under the fall. It felt like needles falling down on my head.  It was the best power shower I have ever had and the closest to being in a Herbal Essence commercial I will ever get.

Glenn, Me and Kwame all moved out of the house to go to the compound. On the way Nunana saw me with my bags and asked "Are you going back to England?" I told him just to the compound. "What would you do if we were leaving" Nunana said "I'd get my bag and follow you".

The compound as I mentioned in a previous post has a bathroom that looks like it's out of Saw. It won't be long till a little puppet fella comes along and plays games with us where you have to chew through your own Achilles tendon or die and even if you do it, he'll have another trick up his sleeve and will kill us anyway. Prick.





No comments:

Post a Comment