Thursday 3 November 2011

Volunteering in Ghana - Day 10

Day 10

Woken up to the sound of crashing rain on the tin roof. This light roof makes light rain sound like heavy rain. Today it sounded like an elephant jogging on the spot above my head. This caused the trip to the waterfall to be canceled which was a shame because we were all looking forward to it after a hard week in the classrooms. I think in a line-up it would be pretty hard to pick out any of the volunteers out of a teacher line-up as the Impostor. The only thing that would give us away is the lack of coffee bean halitosis among us.

It was decided that we would have a movie day as the rain was off an on. As soon as it stopped we would go outside then inevitably the rain would begin again. I noticed that the rain water was much warmer than the even colder than the showers so I thought I'd try and have a rain shower like a true jungle boy. But as I got my Towel and washing things ready and got out to the rain it stopped. Mother nature is a cruel mistress! I decided I would wait for it to rain again so for the rest of the day I was never more than an arms length away from my towel a bit like Mos Def in "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" minus the aliens and the galaxy or any kind of hitch hiking.

With the bribery of a movie day the kids really behaved themselves today but it didn't go without a few crying fits. Which really can be annoying when you can't hear a couple of the lines from Finding Nemo. I have come to realise that a crying child or a flock I think that's the correct terminology) of crying children is a bit like when you move into a house that's near a busy road or motorway. At first you can hear nothing but the engines of cars as they speed by, but eventually you won't notice it as much and will be able to hear the birds chirping in the trees. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but among the cries I eventually could still follow what was happening to poor little Nemo with his little fin.






No comments:

Post a Comment