Wednesday 21 September 2011

Volunteering in Ghana - Day 6

Day 6

The urination competition turned in our favour as in the night the girls lost a point due to a matt pee. Not as bad as a bed pee but after all the comments from them we rubbed it in their faces a bit...I'm not talking about the pee, that would be a bit disgusting wouldn't it. We gladly claimed the pee point so as it stands on the scoreboard it's Boys 1 - 1 Girls.

The kids today must think it's Oscar season, as they are really pulling the tears out the bag. We also seem to have claimed a new kid called Harrison. I don't know how he got here but he's smart.

Today was Bethan's birthday. In the morning we went into town in 2 groups, while the other group looked after the kids. Adolph popped by and asked if I wanted to go for a walk but I couldn't as I was looking after the kids...luckily. I managed to access the internet for the first time since being in Ghana and it was like using dial up in the 90's, it took about ten minutes to check one email and it was nothing to do with me being a slow reader. I felt like slapping the internet man for allowing me to pay for that.

School was incredibly tiring and it is difficult to keep the whole class engaged as they are at different levels of ability. The classroom is like a sweat shop, not that we make the kids sew footballs, just that I imagine a sweatshop would be as hot and sweaty as our classroom. We had a couple of kids in our class that really struggled on one we suspected had learning difficulties. Silv spent a lot of time with him today and seemed to make some good progress by the end of the lesson. After class Adolph appeared again but I was on bathing duty with Silv and again we had a lot of tears, but me and Silv managed to get the little trouble makers clean.

In the evening we celebrated Beth's birthday with a Ghanian drink called Cardinal, it's like a strawberry schnapps. We all crashed out early in front of the Lion king. Exhaustion really is setting in early everyday and I find myself using my housemate Reuben's catchphrase "What you trying it for?!" which really seems to puzzle the kids. They never seem to be satisfied even after massive bowls of food. The "I want some more" is becoming more than an Oliver Twist cliche. A vasectomy is seeming like a real safe bet right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment