Monday 12 September 2011

Johnny G volunteering in Ghana - day 4

Day 4


I'm no longer constrained by the hands of time. After the routine struggle of getting the children to do anything, we took them to a monkey sanctuary. Which of course means a luxury cruise in a Tro Tro. Except this driver was like a normal tro tro driver, who had been on a red bull binge combined with having some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder, which seemed to mean if he didn't beep the horn every millisecond he would spontaneously combust into flames. I wish he had.

We took the kids to the monkey sanctuary and fed them bananas...fed the monkeys bananas, I mean. Everyone enjoyed it as the monkeys peeled bananas from our hands. The guide was pretty darn good and making monkey noises with his mouth. I have no idea what he was saying though.

That afternoon to evening the puppies left destruction in their path, eating everything in sight. Then the crying fits started. It was hard not to feel sorry for them, but then I remembered they ate all the food, Including my food. And people who know me know how I love my food. They really took the biscuit...or my biscuit as it turned out.

Glenn and I (look at that English) were on urination duty that night which means having all of the pee pants in our room and our job is to wake them in the night to make sure they don't live up to their name. Glenn fell asleep on the sofa at about 11. I gently woke him up saying "urination time" Which is what we say to the little ones. Glenn must have been in a very deep sleep because he had no idea where he was as I led him out onto the porch. He looked at me with the same glint in his eye as the kids like "why you making me do this". It took him a good minute to realise what was happening. He was so confused. Poor Glenn.

By the morning we had failed our first urination duty. Courage wet the bed, not just any bed, but our bed. Glenn and I ended up sleeping in the lounge. Beth keeps going on about this little mishap especially because we didn't change him into clean clothes. But as I told Beth, defending our lack of actions, he might be confused into believing that if he pees himself then that means he gets a new wardrobe. So I still think it was right to let him wallow in self pitty...or pissy. Sorry Beth.

No comments:

Post a Comment